Welcome to the Small Arms Inspection Building
The Small Arms Inspection Building (SAIB) is a historic, multi-purpose building that presents a wide range of arts and cultural programs. As the only cultural hub of its kind in Mississauga, the SAIB supports meaningful audience engagement through dynamic exhibitions, events and experiences.
The Small Arms Inspection Building is the City of Mississauga’s newest cultural facility. This 18,000 square foot, flexible, open-concept industrial space may be rented for exhibitions, performances, theatre productions, rehearsals, conferences and events, festivals, and more. Rental includes main event space and servery with a capacity of 400 people and additional use of entrance and lobby which serves as a flexible space that can be used as a coat check, reception or box office.
2020 Rental Rates:
Private Rental – $1635/day
Commercial Rental – $2335/day
Non-Profit/Culture Rate (subsidized) – $250/day
*Additional costs will be added for staffing and cleaning.
* Subsidized rates are available for activities that support arts, culture and heritage. Contact us for more details.
• 160 plus 9 accessible parking spots
• 220 chairs
• 23 large round tables
• 30 six foot rectangular tables
• Select linens for rectangle and round tables
• 12 stanchions
• 3 coatracks
• 1 wooden podium
• 1 a/v cart
• 2 portable speakers with stands
• 2 microphones with stands
• 1 projector
• 1 small mixer board
• 2 digital screens
• 6 portable sign stands for 8.5 x 11 signage
• 3 portable rolling walls
• 2 industrial refrigerators
• 1 microwave
• 2 kettles
• Prep area
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-615-4860
The City of Mississauga offers exceptional educational programs at the Small Arms Inspection Building (SAIB), the Museums of Mississauga historic houses and Meadowvale Theatre. Programs link to the Ontario Cirriculum and add an experiential element that enhances learning. New programs at SAIB focus on women who worked in this building duing World War II and the present day redevelopment into a centre for community, creativity and environmental issues.
Ask about FREE BUSING for Mississauga schools made possible by sponsorship from Holly Frontier Lubricants & Specialty Products Division and the Friends of the Museums.
For more information or to book a program contact:
905-615-4860 ext 2110
Equity of Access
The Small Arms Inspection Building is owned and operated by the City of Mississauga’s Culture Division and is an accessible venue designed to welcome diverse audiences and collaborators. The Small Arms Inspection Building has ground-level, automatic entrances and designated accessible parking. There are accessible, single-user, all-gender washrooms available.
Based on the Culture Master Plan, the goal for this facility is that it be used to present programs that:
- provide access to multi-disciplinary arts and cultural programs
- maintain inclusive, sustainable and accessible programs and practices
- help strengthen the creative sector in Mississauga and Ontario
- engage in partnerships that promote diverse practices and community self-representation
- support multiple audiences and usespromote equitable access to a diverse community of local, provincial and regional artists and cultural groups
Any questions or feedback about the accessibility of this site? Please contact us.
The Small Arms Inspection Building is located on the 15.7 hectare parcel of land known as the Arsenal Lands on the eastern border of Mississauga’s waterfront. In 1940, the site became a large munitions plant manufacturing rifles and small arms for the Canadian Army through the Second World War until 1974. Small Arms Limited recruited and supported a significant number of women, who made up about two-thirds of the factory’s workforce. This was critical to changing the role of women and recognizing their significance to the workforce in Canada.
In 1992, the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) acquired the Arsenal Lands and the Small Arms Inspection Building. In 2008, the City of Mississauga intervened as the building was scheduled for demolition and designated the building under the Ontario Heritage Act in 2009. The City of Mississauga acquired the building in 2017 with the intention of repurposing it as an arts and culture hub.
Small Arms Inspection Building – Timeline
1935 – The Department of Defence purchased the Arsenals Lands and Small Arms Limited
1939 – The Small Arms Limited Building was designed by Allward and Gouinlock Architects
1940 – The site became a large munitions plant manufacturing rifles and small arms for the Canadian Army through the Second World War until 1974
1992 – The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) acquired the Arsenal Lands and the Small Arms Inspection Building
2008 – The City of Mississauga intervened as the Small Arms Inspection Building was scheduled for demolition
2009 – The City of Mississauga designated the building under the Ontario Heritage Act
2017 – The City of Mississauga acquired the Small Arms Inspection Building
2018 – The Small Arms Inspection Building officially opens as one of the City’s cultural sites
The City acknowledges the contributions of the Small Arms Society (SAS), a non-profit corporation and community partner, for helping preserve the history of this building through the designation process and through delivering community programming.
Small Arms Inspection Building
1352 Lakeshore Road East
Mississauga ON L5E 1E9
Effective Saturday, April 3 at 12:01 am, Mississauga will enter a Provincewide shutdown due to rising cases of COVID-19 in Ontario. As a result, our facility remains closed. In some cases, indoor access will be allowed for permitted services such as filming. Rehearsals are not permitted at this time.
The Small Arms Inspection Building is open to receive rental inquiries and take bookings for events that comply with current provincial orders.